Freedom Throughout the Ages
Powers separate the normal man from the super man. In ICONs, Powers represent anything beyond normal human ability, be it mystical energy or even a standard gun.
Like abilities, powers have levels rated on the 1 to 10 scale. Also like abilities, power levels are used for tests, although some powers require tests of other abilities as well; such as a close combat power requiring a Prowess test to hit a target. Other powers don’t require tests; the power’s level is just a measure of its effectiveness.
Powers in ICONs are broad and are used to mechanically resolve any number of special abilities. When selecting Powers, players are required to define exactly how a power works and manifests. Multiple characters can have Flight, for instance, but one may come from large wings while the other is part of the advanced systems on a suit of armor.
Most powers cost 1 point per level to purchase during character creation, however some may cost 2 points per level if the power is especially effective. These will be noted in their descriptions.
As with specialties, some powers (such as Elemental Control or Resistance) are actually power groups of similar abilities, indicated by the group icon shown in the header. You don’t take the Alternate Form or Elemental Control power; you choose one of the powers from within that group, such as Energy Form, Gaseous Form, Fire Control, or Magnetic Control. Each power within a group is considered separate, although some effects may include all powers in a group for ease of reference.
Power descriptions refer to bonus powers; these are choices when creating a character. If a power has a Bonus Power you may purchase that Bonus Power for half the cost of the original Power.
For example, if you purchase 4 levels in Plant Control, you can pick the bonus power Plant Growth for 2 points. You must always purchase a Bonus Power at the same level as the original power. If you have an odd level of the original Power, always round up for a bonus power. If you had Plant Control at Level 5, it would cost 3 points for Plant Growth for example.
Bonus powers are optional, you don’t have to take them, but if you choose not to do so, you can’t go back and take one later. You can make use of bonus powers you chose not to take initially as power stunts later on.
A device is an item providing a power or powers, rather than the power residing in the character. Devices range from relatively mundane items like swords, guns, and armor to super-science gadgets and magical talismans.
Devices have their own independent power-source, although they may need periodic recharging; having a device suddenly run out of power, break down, get stolen, or otherwise pose a problem for its owner is a suitable Challenge.
Any power can stem from a Device and must be stated they do during Power selection, if a power is linked to a Device, it automatically becomes a Challenge when that device fails at a key moment.
Powers are broken into broad categories based on how they function. Each power provides a description of how they work in game with suggestions for specific uses.
- Ability Boost (Power Group)
- Alternate Form (Power Group)
- Duplication (Cost x2 Per Level)
- Empowerment (Cost x2 Per Level)
- Extra Body Parts (Power Group)
- Material Duplication (Cost x2 Per Level)
- Power Duplication (Cost x2 Per Level)
- Power Theft (Cost x2 Per Level)
- Transformation (Cost x2 Per Level)
- Animal Mimicry (Cost x2 Per Level)
- Alteration Ray (Power Group)
- Elemental Control (Power Group)
- Plant Control
- Power Nullification
- Probability Control (Cost x2 Per Level)
- Time Control (Cost x2 Per Level)
- Transmutation (Cost x2 Per Level)
- Wizardry (Power Group) (Cost x2 Per Level)
- Force Field
- Immortality (Must Purchase as Level 10 only)
- Immunity (Power Group) (Must Purchase as Level 10 only)
- Life Support
- Reflection (Cost x2 Per Level)
- Resistance (Power Group)
- Animal Control
- Astral Projection (Coast x2 per Level)
- Dream Control
- Dream Travel
- Emotion Control
- Mental Blast
- Mind Control (Coast x2 Per Level)
- Mind Shield
- Mind Switch (Cost x2 Per Level)
- Possession (Cost x2 Per Level)
- Sleep (Cost x2 Per Level)
- Dimension Travel
- Teleportation (Cost x2 Per Level)
- Fast Attack
- Life Drain
- Danger Sense
- Detection (Power Group)
- Sensory Link
- Supersenses (Power Group)